Sunday, August 21, 2011

MMMM... Squash

One of the first things I learned after becoming a mom is that however long you think something will take, plan for it to at least take twice as long, if not longer.

I decided it would be fun to try and make Brynlee's baby food. Last Saturday at the store we picked up sweet potatoes, a squash, apples and pears. I figured that since we had a whole Saturday with nothing planned, and with Liz and Addie being out our house I'd be able to get them all made with no problem. Well, last night, one week later, I finally got the last batch in the freezer.

Its pretty easy to do, you just cook the fruit/veggie and then stick it in the blender to puree it. From there you just put it in ice cube trays to freeze. Each cube of food is like one serving/one ounce i believe.

I think I spent about $10 and here's what we ended up with:
  • 3 large sweet potatoes: 38 servings (picture below)
  • 1 Butternut Squash: 19 servings
  • 3 Apples: 12 servings
  • 3 Pears: 13 servings
  • 1 avocado: doesn't need cooked, but she ate it :)


The funniest part is that Brynlee finds the word 'squash' hilarious. It started at the grocery store and still if we say 'squash' she'll start giggling. ('Chicken' is the other word she'll laugh at, but you have to say it just right, lol)


Brynlee is starting to figure out that she can get anywhere she wants by rolling. Yesterday I left her in the middle of her room to play while I folded laundry (laundry room is right next to her room). I peek in there to check on her and find this:

Little stinker rolled over to her bookcase and pulled a toy off the bottom shelf. We are going to have our hands full shortly once she can really move!



No comments:

Post a Comment